Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Enough is Enough

    "Enough is enough!" It's a phrase that we have all heard since we were children. Our parents have said it when they're tired of what we get ourselves into. Our friends say it when they've had too much to drink. We even say it on occasion when we've eaten too much for dinner. It's a phrase with a very clear meaning- it's time to stop. Still, the question arises, as adults, when is enough really enough?
    I mean this not so much in the negative way of doing or having too much of something, but rather as a question of self-fulfillment. We create goals for ourselves and set out to achieve them. We work hard to make ourselves and those who matter to us proud. When we hit milestones and achieve our goals we set new ones. It makes sense, and according to certain psychological schools of thought a person can never be "finished" with this process and be happy. We have to continue changing and developing, adapting to our surroundings and working to become a person we are pleased with.
    When is it enough though? How far do we have to go before we can stop working so hard, or at least stop working on changes and advancements of great magnitude? I know people who seem to be ok with who they are and where they are in their lives, and for the most part I think that's great. I'm even a little bit jealous. I feel this jealousy because I've achieved most of the goals I've set for myself, and within the timeline I wanted as well, but every time I do something that I've set out to do I feel compelled to go after something else. Something new, bigger, harder, and more impressive.
    By 24 I've achieved a masters degree in the field that I love (Just to clarify how awesome I am, I was only 23 when I got the degree). I've completed internships and specializations to deepen my knowledge and skill level. I'm lucky enough to have not one, but two jobs in this field, one of which is doing what I've wanted to do since I remember choosing this field, outpatient therapy. This job provides me with competitive compensation and opportunities for advancement. In my personal life I've met a man that outshines any other I've met in the past and have accepted a marriage proposal (regardless of how much I may be dragging my feet on the planning process!). I've taken the tough steps to clear out my inner circle and recognize the truly wonderful friends I have, helping me to appreciate them more than I ever have before. I've continued to strengthen relationships with my family, being the best sister and daughter that I can be. I have pets that I love and care for. I'm planning a future that involves the American dream modified for what I want: a home, a husband, children and a career. By 24 I've created a life that some people can only hope will become a possibility some day.
    Even so, it doesn't seem to be enough for me. I crave further advancements in almost every area. It is not necessarily that I want these things right now, just that I want them. I always want to be better, go farther, and do more. I try to figure out why, what it is that drives me. It's not competition, I've never been too competitive. It's not external pressure, the people in my world don't seem to attached to these accomplishments or live vicariously through me. For now I just convince myself that the drive comes simply from a desire for self improvement, and that I can live with.

Just in case you haven't seen this yet, it's hilarious, and you've been missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment