Friday, July 29, 2011

With how much we change, how can we know each other?

    I'm sitting here on the couch of our darling one bedroom apartment, my cat on our other couch and the chicken soup I'm making from scratch on the stove, thinking about everything that I've been learning. I've learned about myself, other people, the "real world," and everything else that comes into my life.
    Most importantly to me, I'm learning how to live as an adult and become a good wife. I've gone through this rough economy and finally found an adult job. I'm cooking from scratch for my husband to be, figuring out what he likes and how to make the most out of the little money we have. Tonight's soup is a homemade stock and chicken from the dinner I made last night, I'm so proud! I'm learning how to not run home every time there is a rough patch, not asking for help every time things are uncomfortable. It's not easy to do or adjust to, but it makes me proud of myself and confident that Chris and I can get through anything, and while it's nice to know that we have support from my family we don't need it on a regular basis. Granted I still have my mother's help in most things, but we both know I'm moving further towards independence.
    Life throws curve balls, it's just something you've got to get used to. We have ups and downs no matter what we do. Our lives change, people come and go, and we have little control over it unless it's an active change that we're making. Which is awesome. All of this brings me to a question that I can't quite answer...
    With how much we change, how can we know each other? We go through life forming relationships and making bonds, the whole time changing and developing. Unless someone is right by your side through it all it's only chance that keeps relationships together. The more an individual is needy or conforming, especially if they lack autonomy, the chance of things staying the way they once were goes down. The impact an individual can have in helping another person maintain their identity is often unseen. As soon as a strong individual separates themselves (by choice or chance) from a weaker one (simply weaker in a sense of personality, which could be a positive for some people) the weaker individual latches on to someone else to find identity. Unfortunately that can sometimes be a move for the worst.
    I'm confident that I'm growing into a more independent individual, able to maintain my personality and change in a controlled way, all the while having a wonderful man on my side to keep my feet on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment